CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Summer Reading Program

Just like last year, I got all excited about the Summer reading programs and signed up for As many as possible. I really loved how The Purple Cow bookstore challenged us too. Sadly, they weren't doing one this year. :( so I decided to make up my own.

I like to challenge Tsadakah's vocabulary, attention span, and imagination, so I wanted to start with chapter books with fewer pictures. And she is very into the television. That is why I decided to do a Movie Night theme. I chose a book that I knew there was a movie of it and when we had finished reading the book, she was rewarded with a Popcorn Movie night. It was really fun and I hope that it taught her to love books as much as TV, that 99% of the time books are better, and that books are to teach a moral.

Here are the books that we read and then watched together:

Stewart Little
Little Women (a summarized version)
Stuart Little 2
Dora Saves The Snow Princess (here we observed that this book followed the movie almost exactly because the book was written AFTER the movie.)
The Tale of Despereaux (again, same thing)
Matilda
Jumanji (this movie scared the pasts off her and she wouldn't sleep alone for months! I didn't think it was that scary.)
A Little Princess
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I had made a much bigger list but we didn't make it through this list. I will post it here in case we want to finish it later.

The Cat in the Hat
Princess Diaries
Cheaper By the Dozen
Narnia
Pinocchio
Thumbalina
Marley and Me
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
101 Dalmations
Wizard of Oz
Horton Hears A Who
Nanny McPhee
Spiderwick Chronicles
Winnie the Pooh
Harry Potter
The Babysitters Club
Night At The Museum 2 (Amelia Earhart)
James and the Giant Peach
Joseph in Egypt
Judy Moody
The Black Stallion
The Little Engine That Could
The Borrowers
Heidi
Madeline
The Secret Garden
Sarah Plain And Tall
Charlotte's Web
Limine Schnickets

I already have an idea for next year! Everyone in the family chooses a favorite book and then we read everything written by the same author. I think that would open you up to bunches of books you didn't know were out there. :) Happy Reading!

0 comments: